What are anti-wrinkle injections used for?
Anti-wrinkle injections with botulinum toxin are used to reduce active lines on the forehead, in between the brows and crow’s feet.
What area of the face can treated with Botulinum Toxin?
FAQs & Aftercare
When Botulinum toxin is injected into a muscle it activates a process called selective muscle denervation.
This is when the neuromuscular junction – where the nerve and muscle meet – has its receptors blocked from a neuro transmitter called acetylcholine: the chemical which forces the muscle to contract.
Therefore, even though the nerve continues to send a signal which requests movement, the tissue does not receive the instruction and the muscle remains still.
Anti-wrinkle injections relax the muscle that causes skin to crease, making wrinkles fade or disappear altogether.
Over 3-5 months, the muscle gradually grows new receptors and is able to contract again.
Anti -wrinkle injections are most effective in the correction of lines which are formed from dynamic muscle contractions alone. Because the underlying muscle doesn’t move, the skin above it no longer creases. Therefore, anti -wrinkle injections are most effective in frown and laughter lines.
- Anti- wrinkle injections do not remove wrinkles which are present at rest when there is no muscle movement, although it may soften them.
- Anti-wrinkle injections need to be maintained every 3-5 months.
Botulinum toxin is a prescription drug and must be prescribed by a qualified medical prescriber. It should administered by a clinician who is trained to perform the procedure safely.
- Anti-wrinkle injections are used to relax wrinkles in the upper half of the face.
- Dermal fillers plump areas of lost volume, such as nose-to-mouth lines, or to enhance lips.
Results can be seen after 3-7 days with optimum results seen at 2 weeks. As bruising may occur, it is best to schedule appointments 2 weeks before an event.
The improvements last about 3 to 4 months, although sometimes longer.
- When treating fine lines and wrinkles, a nurse injector injects very small amounts of purified botulinum toxin into targeted muscles on the face or neck. This temporarily relaxes the targeted muscles, causing fine lines and wrinkles to diminish. The effect lasts about 3 to 4 months — and sometimes longer.
- When treating excessive sweating, nurse injector injects directly into the skin on the underarm. A single treatment can provide up to 6 months of relief from excessive sweating.
We want patients to look natural. To do this, a nurse injector will inject just enough to weaken and relax the targeted muscles without affecting other muscles. This allows patients to maintain their natural facial expressions.
Treatments can be repeated after a 3 -month period. This is usually the time at which excessive sweating or lines and wrinkles return, although his can happen earlier and is very much dependent upon the individual. With repeat treatment for lines and wrinkles, there can be an accumulative effect, leading to longer-lasting results.
Most people return to the everyday activities immediately. As soon as you leave the treatment room, you can apply makeup.
To prevent the injected substance from spreading to areas where you do not want it, you’ll need to take a few precautions:
- For the first 2 hours after treatment, it’s important not to rub the affected areas.
- For the succeeding 24 hours, don’t engage in any vigorous exercise, drink alcohol or experience prolonged sun exposure – whether natural or artificial.
- If you apply makeup, take care not to press or rub it in.
- As Botulinum toxin has no recovery time, there is little aftercare required. Immediately following treatment, you can enhance its effects by gently moving the treated area with mild facial exercises.
Botulinum toxin is broken down by the body during the first 48 hours of treatment, so does not accumulate in your system. Improved effects are visible with multiple treatments because the muscle is already relaxed from the previous session so your skin is creasing less and the wrinkles are not being reinforced.
If a patient develops side effects, these tend to be mild and temporary. The injections, rather than the botulinum toxin itself, cause most mild side effects. For example, a patient may occasionally bruise. If this happens, the bruising lasts about 1 week.
After receiving injections, people have experienced:
- Mild headache (uncommon)
- Weakness in a neighbouring muscle, leading to a temporarily droopy brow or eyelid (rare)
- Signs and symptoms of botulism, including problems breathing, swallowing, or speaking (very rare)
Book a consultation with a member of our team today to learn how we could enhance and rejuvenate your natural beauty.
All treatments are subject to a satisfactory consultation. Terms and Conditions apply.