Exfoliate for a smoother more radiant complexion
Over time, the enzymes responsible for shedding your skin’s outer layer work less effectively, giving your skin a dull, grey, lacklustre appearance as the skin is less able to reflect light
Speed up your skin’s cell turnover and smooth its surface with alpha hydroxy acids (AHA’s), retinol and skin peels
- Obagi 1% retinol with its entrapped formulation
- Obagi exfoliating day lotion with glycolic acid, Hyaluronic acid, Vitamin E and Vitamin C
- Obagi Exfoderm Forte with Glycolic and Lactic acid
- Obagi 30% Vitamin C Polish and Mask
- Obagi exfoliating cleanser
Cleanse your pores
Pores appear larger when they’re filled with dirt, oil, dead skin cells, and keratin. They are also less able to absorb the product and provide the ideal breeding ground for p.acnes bacteria. Removing those plugs will refine their appearance and products will be more readily absorbed, making breakouts a distant memory
Deep cleanse your pores and exfoliate with regular applications of salicylic and glycolic acid
- We have a range of Salicylic washes, toners and skin peels:
- Epionce Lytic gel cleanser
- Obagi clenziderm wash with 2% salicylic acid
- Obagi blue radiance peel
- Obagi pore therapy with 2% salicylic acid
- Obagi 360 exfoliating cleanser
Don’t neglect your neck and chest
We often stop our skincare routine at our chin. The skin on these areas is thinner and doesn’t have a strong blood supply, making it susceptible to sun damage and slow to heal
- With caution, apply products to your neck and chest but start to introduce them gradually (every other day) when using actives such as retinol and acids as they can cause some initial sensitivity
- Use skin boosters such as Profhilo
- Am -Vitamin C serum and hydro drops followed by a Heliocare product
Come rain or shine, apply sunscreen daily
Wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen is the single easiest way to look younger for life. 90% of wrinkles are from sun exposure.
Look for a formulation that not only offers broad-spectrum protection but one that offers you an extra layer of protection against environmental damage and toxins through the addition of antioxidants, boosting the efficacy of your sunscreen.
The Helio care 360 range of products offer protection from UVA, UVB, Infra-Red, and visible light which is further enhanced through the inclusion of antioxidants
Be patient with your products
We’re all in a hurry to see results, but rarely will you see the long-term benefits of new products overnight.
- Putting on the brakes can ensure that the results you get are positive
- Introduce products separately and gradually rather than all at once. This way you will rarely experience dryness or irritation.
- Give any new product at least 12 weeks and up to 6 months to see if it’s really improving your skin before calling time on it.
- Use new products every other day
- Introduce one product every 3 days
Keep your hands off your face
Picking- even lightly- can permanently damage the skin. Every time you press against a pimple, it causes distress to the skin. At the same time, bacteria is pushed deep inside the pore, and the oil glands burst, causing even more trauma, more acne, discolouration and scarring
- Refrain from touching
- Schedule regular monthly treatments with your aesthetician
- Let the products do the work for you
- IPL acne treatment
- LED light therapy
- Chemical Peels
- Application of topical agents such as salicylic acid and willow bark
Put your skincare in proper order
The sequence in which you apply products could be even more important than the products themselves.
- Reach for those with the most active ingredients first. These will be the most powerful and so you want them in direct contact with your skin
- If using more than one product, start with the thinner one. Anything that is water soluble should go first, followed by the product that is thicker and creamier.
- In the morning, apply any serums (allowing each one to absorb prior to the application of the next products), followed by creams such as Heliocare 360
Give your skin a drink of water
- Levels of your skin’s own natural moisturising factor, hyaluronic acid (HA) deplete rapidly after the age of 28.
- HA acts like a sponge having the capacity to hold up to 1000x its molecular weight in water.
- HA maintains the skin’s plumpness and stops the skin’s collagen from cross-linking which leads to wrinkling
- Use a hydrator daily – look for products with a range of molecular weights to ensure deep down and superficial hydration
- Obagi Hydrodrops
Make anti-oxidants your best friend
Your skin has to relentlessly fight back against the constant onslaught of environmental damage. But as we age, our skin’s ability to fight back is significantly reduced as free radicals outnumber the antioxidants in our body. This simply means that the bad guys significantly outnumber the good guys.
- Apply anti-oxidants daily to prevent free radical damage caused by the constant assault on your skin from solar radiation and other environmental and lifestyle factors that ultimately result in photo ageing and DNA damage
- Obagi Pro c range of serums
- Obagi Hydro drops with Vitamin B5 (niacinamide)
Prep your skin prior to any clinical treatment
The outcomes of clinical treatments are much more predictable and effective when it is prepped prior to treatments.
Prep your skin for 1-2 weeks prior to clinical treatments with hydrators and melanin suppressants
- Obagi clear with Hydroquinone
- Obagi Pro -C serums- 10%, 15%, 20%
- Obagi C 10% clarifying serum with hydoquinone.
- Hydrate with Obagi hydrate or hydrodrops
Start using a Vitamin A product
- Vitamin A helps skin cell turnover, boosts collagen production to keep skin firm and youthful, reverses sun damage
- It is as effective in treating acne as it is at treating wrinkles and other signs of ageing
- Make vitamin A part of your evening routine for smoother, radiant and clearer skin. Start low and build up your tolerance. View it as the caviar of your skincare!
- Obagi 1% retinol
- Tretinoin – varying strengths – must be prescribed
Start using a serum
Serums are much more concentrated than creams and lotions and only need a small amount daily to see results
- Look for one with anti-oxidants, the skin’s major defence against free radicals and stress and collagen and elastin stimulants
- Obagi Professional C serums
- Obagi Hydrodrops
- Elastiderm facial serum